Opportunities at Ulupono Initiative
Ulupono Initiative is a Hawaii-based business and social investment firm sponsored by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and his wife, Pam. The organization strives to improve the quality of life for the people of Hawaii by working toward solutions that create more locally produced food; increase renewable energy and clean transportation to reduce dependence on imported oil; and better manage freshwater and waste. Ulupono believes that self-sufficiency and resilience is essential to Hawaii’s future prosperity and will help shape a future where economic progress and mission-focused impact can work hand in hand. The firm’s approach is based on systems thinking. For each of Ulupono’s investment areas, our team aims to understand the entire landscape and identify critical intervention points that, when altered, will improve the outlook for Hawaii’s future and residents’ quality of life.
Ulupono's model allows its team to work toward its mission in a variety of ways. The firm makes investments in for-profit companies, issues grants to non-profit organizations, advocates on policy and regulatory issues, and acts as a catalyst and/or convener around critical issues related to its focus sectors.
Director, Communications and Community
Ulupono Initiative's (UI) Director of Communications & Community is responsible for managing the implementation of communications efforts in support of the overall strategic communications strategy set by the Senior Vice President, Communications & External Affairs, including: strategic planning; messaging, positioning, and branding; media relations; content creation and all external communications tools and vehicles including collateral, and press kits/materials including all photography and video; PR/advertising agency resources; speaking engagements; conferences and sponsorships; and, internal communications.
- Develop, deploy and manage external communications including storytelling via multimedia and other methods that support social media strategy and content, investee/grantee communications, corporate advertising and community relations.
- Implement day-to-day operations of specific year-round communications programs including frequent and timely upkeep of corporate communications tools and supporting corporate meetings.
- Write for multiple audiences and mediums, including executive speeches and letters, talking points, news releases, media interviews, social media messaging, video scripts, fact sheets and FAQs.
- Serve as the primary contact in responding to media requests for information and facilitate media interviews with spokespeople and others.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the organization’s government and regulatory affairs outreach in collaboration across teams.
- Provide communications support for special activities including speeches, tradeshows and sponsorships.
- Advise and implement consistent corporate branding practices, including ensuring brand integrity by maintaining and updating organizational style sheet and other guidelines.
- Increase and leverage UI’s position as a thought leader to enhance brand recognition and reputation.
- Research and recommend strategies, systems and procedures to improve UI’s internal and external communications.
- Provide communications support to funded organizations as appropriate.
- Assist in training associates on identifying messaging opportunities, proper writing techniques and use of brand standards so that they can articulately represent UI’s mission and work in any external environment (deliverables: media and message training program)
- Work internally to advance UI strategy and mission.
- Represent UI in a manner that is consistent with our mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; Master’s degree, professional equivalent and/or APR desirable
- 5+ year’s experience working in public relations, media relations, corporate affairs or equivalent is required; agency, government and community relations experience is preferred
- Strong professional written and oral communication skills
- Strategic thinker that is a results-oriented self-starter
- Intellectual curiosity and creativity to engage and persuade internal and external stakeholders with demonstrated track record of successful relationship building
- Domain experience in finance preferred; experience in green business, renewable energy, sustainable agriculture and/or waste management desirable
- Prior demonstrated interest in creating positive social impact highly desirable
- Collaborative team player required
- Connection to Hawaii, desire to live in Hawaii, and/or desire to live and work in a multi-cultural environment required
How to Apply
Please submit your resume to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is Friday, May 13, 2022.